Choose a 5K and Lace Up Your Sneakers
Arlington’s miles of trails and fun local 5k races make it a runner and walker’s paradise.
I rekindled my relationship with running about six years ago while living in Arlington, adjacent to the Custis Trail. It was an amazing thing to roll out of bed and have my feet on the trail in a matter of minutes. I loved to train on the Custis Trail into Rosslyn and do longer weekend runs on the Mount Vernon Trail.
With miles of multi-used paved trails in Arlington—the Custis, Mount Vernon, Washington & Old Dominion (W&OD), and Four Mile Run—running is made easier. Each trail is perfect for exploring and training for a race, so you’ll never get bored! Use the Arlington Loop map to explore a new path if you’re trying to find a new route.
Arlington has dozens of local 5k runs (that’s 3.1 miles) to motivate locals to run and that bring people to town from all over the country. The 5k distance is loved by serious, casual, and new runners alike, and many of these Arlington races are friendly to both walkers and runners.
Choose Your Race
There are so many different types of races throughout the year geared towards every age, interest, and ability. We’re highlighting a few of our favorites to make it easy for you to bookmark the races on your calendar.
I want to be social.
I want to support my community.
- Home Run for the Homeless 5k – September in Bluemont Park
- Dashing to Summer’s End 5k & 10k – September in Bluemont Park
- Arlington Police, Fire & Sheriff 9/11 Memorial 5K – September in Crystal City
It needs to be kid-friendly.
- Clarendon Day Run 5k/10k/Double/Kids Dash – September in Clarendon
- Kinhaven 5k and Kids’ Fun Run – October in Bluemont Park
- Encore Stage Costume Caper 5k & 1k Kids’ Fun Run – October in Bluemont Park
- Jennifer Bush-Lawson 5K & Family Fun Day – November at the Knights of Columbus
I want to compete…and win.
- ACE Physical Therapy & Sports Medicine Institute Roosevelt Run 5k – August on the Mount Vernon Trail
- Roosevelt Island ParkRun – Every Saturday, year-round, on Roosevelt Island and designed for both walkers and runners
- Crystal City Twilighter – July in Crystal City
I’m only running for the costumes.
Like a race but registration isn’t open yet? Contact the race organizers directly with any questions about dates of the 2019 events or registration.
Need Route Ideas?
Now that you know what race you’re going to run, it’s time to find a new running or walking route on some of the trails we’ve mentioned. Use our Comfort Map to locate the Arlington Loop and off-street trails perfect to kick start your training.