Fall Picnic Adventure
BikeArlington and WalkArlington are throwing a picnic to celebrate fall weather, enjoy Arlington’s great parks and trails, and build community! And how do you picnic with BikeArlington and WalkArlington? You ride or walk there, of course!
We’ll be demonstrating how to carry picnic supplies by bike or on foot, and then we’ll put it into action with a ride and walk to local stores to pick up picnic supplies. Then, we’ll return to Quincy Park to relax with games, activities, and more food. Plus, everyone will get a tote bag to decorate and one lucky person will walk away with a bike basket and rack, courtesy of Trek Bicycles Clarendon.
What to Bring
Since the ultimate challenge will be to bring our picnic goodies back to the park by bike and by hand, you’ll need a way to carry things. Bring your trusty backpack, cargo bike, or, reusable bags, or grocery cart! Don’t worry if you don’t have these—we’ll have plenty of storage capacity. We’ll also have blankets and picnic tables, but feel free to bring your favorite picnic blanket.
- 2:00 – 2:30 p.m. Introductions, overview of gear, and split into biking and walking groups
- 2:30 – 3:15 p.m. Brief bike ride and brief walk
- 3:15 – 5:00 p.m. Picnic, games, food, and crafts
The event is free, but please register.
Choose your own adventure! Please indicate if you’d like to go on the bike ride or walk when you register. Both the ride and walk will be kid-friendly and last no more than 30-45 minutes. Everyone will start and end together at Quincy Park.
- Buses within ½ mile: 1A, 1B, 2A, 10B, 22A, 22C, 23A, 23B, 23T, 38B, 53A, 53B, 62, PRTC D200
- Metrorail within ½ mile: Ballston-MU, Virginia Square-GMU
- Capital Bikeshare: Washington-Lee High School / N Stafford St & Generals Way, Utah St & 11th St N, Ballston Metro / N Stuart & 9th St N, N Randolph St & Fairfax Dr, Central Library / N Quincy St & 10th St N, Wilson Blvd & N Quincy St, Virginia Square Metro / N Monroe St & 9th St N, Fairfax Dr & Kenmore St
- Custis Trail
In the event of rain, we’ll relocate to Central Library.