Why We’re Thankful
There's so much to be thankful for in Arlington County this time of year - we're especially thankful for active transportation!
This time of year as friends and families come together to celebrate the holidays, we here at BikeArlington and WalkArlington look back at some of the things that we’re thankful for around Arlington County.
- We’re thankful for the staff planners and engineers who have made the recent flurry of spot improvements happen around town that you may have noticed. From extra flex posts, thermoplastic at tricky intersections, or things like the brand new Rosslyn Protected Bike Lane make getting around the County a breeze. And that PBL just keeps getting better!
- Arlington County has an extensive network of multi-use trails that make commuting to work by bike or by foot a snap. They are perfect if you’re looking for a little bit of relaxation or trying to work towards your Fitbit goals. Which one is your favorite?
- We appreciate all the community organizers and also folks who volunteer and help us out. Whether it’s organizing a monthly bike ride for families, a walking group for seniors, or helping out with one of our events—these are the folks that really make walking and biking in Arlington great. Want to get involved? Become a PAL Volunteer!
- We’re grateful for a bit of good news. The Arlington County Board recently voted 5-0 to approve pedestrian-only and low-speed “shared streets.” The Board’s action further supports Arlington’s Gold Level Walk Friendly vision, by accommodating new street types envisioned in the Rosslyn and Courthouse Sector Plans and providing future safety and implementation guidance.
- Last but not least, we’re really thankful for the way in which our Arlington County Bicycle Comfort Level Map has been received. The original printing of this map got snapped up so quickly, we knew we had to print more. Incorporating user feedback, the new map boasts some great improvements, including a more intuitive color scheme, with “comfortable routes” standing out better than ever. Get your copy mailed to you (for free!) online here.
What are you thankful for? Tell in the comments or connect with us online!
Links in this post were updated on June 26, 2019.
Comments are closed here.
To prevent spam, comments will be approved before appearing on the post. If you have a comment or question, but do not want it to be published, please email WalkArlington.